Banned South Yorkshire motorist caught driving while disqualified for the 17th time

A banned motorist was caught driving while disqualified for the seventeenth time after he was involved in a police pursuit.

Friday, 26th February 2021, 7:30 am

Michael Wilcock, aged 51, of Brooke Street, Hoyland, Barnsley, was spotted by a mobile police patrol in Hoyland, Barnsley, before he accelerated away, mounted a kerb and a grassed area and drove down a pedestrian walkway, according to a Sheffield Crown Court hearing on February 25.

Timothy Savage, prosecuting, said police were driving on Mell Avenue, Hoyland, on December 3, 2019, and were about to turn into St Andrew’s Road when they spotted bearded Wilcock in a Ford Fiesta with a woman and he was recognised as a disqualified driver.

Wilcock accelerated away and officers realised he was heading to Royston Hill, according to Mr Savage, so they took a different route before they captured footage of the defendant’s driving on their dash cam.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Police caught a banned South Yorkshire motorist driving while disqualified for the seventeenth time.

Mr Savage said: “He mounted a kerb driving over a grassed area and down a pedestrian walkway.”

Police found Wilcock at his home and discovered garden furniture positioned around the parked vehicle, accordng to Mr Savage, but the defendant’s beard had been removed and his face had fresh cuts.

Wilcock, who has 16 previous convictions for driving while disqualified and four previous convictions for dangerous driving, initially denied driving the Ford Fiesta but later pleaded guilty to dangerous driving and to driving while disqualified.

Rebecca Coleman, defending, said Wilcock has an appalling record for driving which causes him a great deal of shame and embarrassment and after the death of his parents he wishes to stop his offending.

Ms Coleman added: “Mr Wilcock has a young son and wishes for his son to look up to him in the way he looked up to his father.”

Judge Sarah Wright recognised Wilcock wishes to change his life after the death of his parents and she believes there is a reasonable prospect for his rehabilitation.

Wilcock was sentenced to ten months of custody suspended for two years with a Rehabilitation Activity Requirement. He was also disqualified from driving for two years.

But Judge Wright warned Wilcock: “This is probably the last chance you will be given.”

Read More

Read More
Four young people deny murdering vulnerable Doncaster man after he was punched a...

A message from the Editor:

Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.

With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our advertisers - and consequently the revenue we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription.

Subscribe to The Star website and enjoy unlimited access to local news and information online and on our app. With a digital subscription, you can read more than 5 articles, see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content.

Visit https://www.thestar.co.uk/subscriptions now to sign up.

Our journalism costs money and we rely on advertising, print and digital revenues to help to support them. By supporting us, we are able to support you in providing trusted, fact-checked content for this website.

Thank you

Nancy Fielder, editor