A high-speed Sheffield driver has been jailed after he fled from police

A dangerous driver who fled from police during a high-speed police pursuit has been put behind bars.

Wednesday, 9th June 2021, 9:49 am

Sheffield Crown Court heard on June 8 how Aaron Ward, aged 27, of West Street, Beighton, Sheffield, was spotted by police near Moorhouse Lane and Pleasley Road, Rotherham, as a suspected disqualified driver before the defendant accelerated away in a VW Golf.

Richard Davies, prosecuting, said: “A vehicle passed in front of the officer and he pulled up behind the defendant and suspected from information received earlier that day that he was driving and was disqualified.”

Mr Davies added Ward travelled to Aughton and Swallownest and returned to Springwood Avenue and Grange Avenue before he turned into the A618 and Main Street where he sped away from police.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

A cordon of police tape (Photo by NIKLAS HALLE'N/AFP via Getty Images)

Ward reached speeds of 60mph in a 30mph zone, according to Mr Davies, as the police vehicle engaged its blue lights and siren and pursued the defendant.

Mr Davies said Ward went on the wrong side of the road onto Hall Road driving dangerously into the crest of the road and zig-zagging between parked cars as pedestrians walked along the footpath.

Ward continued speeding along Mason Avenue towards Aughton travelling between vehicles and on the wrong side of the road, according to Mr Davies, and another vehicle had to brake to avoid him.

Mr Davies added that police spotted the Golf parked on Oak Terrace and Ward was chased on foot by police and a member of the public and he was found at a nearby house and arrested.

Electrician Ward, who is a banned motorist and has previous convictions for driving offences including dangerous driving, pleaded guilty to dangerous driving, driving while disqualified and driving without insurance after the incident on November 19, 2020.

Rebecca Tanner, defending, said: “Mr Ward is no stranger to the courts and he is here again for another driving matter and he knows at the age of 27 enough is enough and it needs to come to an end.”

Ms Tanner added that the pursuit was relatively short and no one was injured and no damage was caused.

Judge David Dixon sentenced Ward to 20 months of custody and disqualified him from driving for three years.

Read More

Read More
Furious man ‘lost control’ during dispute over loud music and threatened neighbo...

A message from the Editor:

Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.

With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our advertisers - and consequently the revenue we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription.

Subscribe to The Star website and enjoy unlimited access to local news and information online and on our app. With a digital subscription, you can read more than 5 articles, see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content.

Visit https://www.thestar.co.uk/subscriptions now to sign up.

Our journalism costs money and we rely on advertising, print and digital revenues to help to support them. By supporting us, we are able to support you in providing trusted, fact-checked content for this website.

Thank you

Nancy Fielder, editor