Crackdown on disorder

Inspector Glenn Hoggard of Derbyshire Police
Inspector Glenn Hoggard of Derbyshire Police
Share this article
Have your say

A crackdown on anti-social behaviour in Killamarsh is yielding results, according to police chiefs.

A six-month dispersal order was introduced in Killamarsh in February, giving police the right to split up groups congregating on the streets, and activities have been organised in a bid to keep teenagers out of trouble.

Police patrols have also been stepped up.

Officers say they are pleased with the impact the crackdown is having.

Inspector Glenn Hoggard, who is in charge of policing in North East Derbyshire, said: “We had been receiving complaints from local residents and businesses about anti-social behaviour and although we acknowledge we still have more work to do, we are pleased with the progress of our work so far with partner agencies to target concerns.”

Councillor Lillian Robinson, chairman of the North East Derbyshire Community Safety Partnership, said: “The dispersal order is one part of our overall strategy to reduce anti-social and unacceptable behaviour of a minority.

“Police and council officers will continue to work together and use their powers where necessary as part of our continued commitment with partnership agencies to ensure Killamarsh is a safe and pleasant place to live.”

Since the crackdown was launched officers have made arrests for public order offences, breaches of bail, criminal damage to property and possession of cannabis.

Six young people have agreed to enter into Acceptable Behaviour Contracts.

The North East Derbyshire Community Safety Partnership is coordinating the proposed introduction of a new Designated Public Places Order, which would give police extra powers to tackle alcohol consumption in public, when it is linked to anti-social behaviour and disorder.

The dispersal order runs until August 8, but will be reviewed by police and North East Derbyshire District Council, and may be extended.

Anyone with information should call police on 101.