Club hit back for win but Steels slip up

Sheffield FC made it five wins from the last six as they came from behind to beat Kidsgrove Athletic 2-1.

Monday, 15th October 2007, 7:46 am
Updated Monday, 15th October 2007, 10:06 am

However, Stocksbridge Park Steels slipped to a first defeat in three games when they were beaten for the second time this season at Cammell Laird, going down 2-1.

After a drab first half at the Bright Finance Stadium, the game came to life in the second half when Ashley Hill gave Kidsgrove a 49th minute lead with a shot that went in off a post.

The goal came as a wake-up call to Sheffield who went close when Vill Powell's header came back off the woodwork.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

But their superiority was rewarded in the 77th minute through substitute Stuart Copnell's low shot from the edge of the box. Sheffield piled on the pressure which paid dividends in the 83rd minute when a low cross from Copnell saw the visiting keeper Heeps blast a clearance against defender Kielty and the ball ricocheted back into the Kidsgrove net to give Sheffield a fortunate, but deserved, victory.

Having lost 3-1 to Cammell Laird on the opening day of the season, Stocksbridge returned (as part of the Unibond's new one-off format of two nine-team groups) seeking revenge but despite being down to 10 men for most of the second half, it was Lairds who edged out a battling Steels 2-1.

Ian Cooke's header gave the home side the lead midway through the first half before Alex Hay doubled the lead in the 43rd minute from the penalty spot.

Gilbilliru was sent-off just after half-time following a foul on Steels Jamie Vardy and although Mark Ward pulled one back in the 75th minute Stocksbridge couldn't force the equaliser despite late pressure.

Retford United remain three points clear at the top of UniBond South table after an eighth win in nine games saw them comfortably beat Alsager Town 5-1.

The points were as good as in the bag at the break with Retford taking a commanding 3-0 through Neil Harvey and Matt Fisher inside the first 10 minutes with Mick Goddard stretching the lead with a 35th minute penalty.

The home side pulled one back early in the second half but Harvey's second of the game and a Mark Ashton goal ten minutes from time rounded off a convincing Retford performance.


League Cup 2nd rnd: Goole v Sheffield FC, Nantwich Town v Stocksbridge Park Steels.


Div: Frickley Ath v Whitby Town, Worksop Town v Lincoln United, Eastwood Town v Matlock Town.

What do you think? Post your comments below.


Local football headlines.

Football gossip.

More sport.