Former Sheffield United striker Ched Evans is ‘confident’ that his rape conviction will be referred to the Court of Appeal, it has been claimed.
The Sun on Sunday has reported that the Welsh player is hopeful of being able to make a comeback to professional football.
Evans was convicted in 2012 of rape and was released last year halfway through a five-year jail term.
He is fighting a legal battle against the conviction and last week the Criminal Cases Review Commission said it required further time to consider whether to send his case to the Court of Appeal.
A source told The Sun: “Everyone connected to Ched appears to be confident the decision is going to go in their favour.
“His team have been in contact with clubs since his release last October and some new clubs have asked to be kept informed.
“He and his supporters are hoping they are going to see a light at the end of the tunnel very soon.”
But his aunt Nina Evans told the same newspaper that he should drop the appeal.
She said: “His victim shouldn’t have to deal with this again.”
Following his release from prison, Evans has made several attempts to restart his professional career.
But potential moves to clubs including Sheffield United and Oldham have fallen through following public outcry.