Bus man trapped in cab after crash

NEWS: News.
NEWS: News.
Have your say

A BUS driver had to be released from his cab early yesterday after a crash at Marr, near Doncaster.

There were no passengers on the First single decker which collided with a lorry on the A635 near the entrance to Marr Hall Farm and about 500 yards from the A1(M).

But fire crews from Adwick and a technical rescue unit were called in to free the man from his seat.

The driver, in his 40s, was taken to Doncaster Royal Infirmary.

The collision happened just before midnight and Barnsley Road was closed into the early hours.

The vehicles involved were a white DAF Truck and a First multi-coloured single decker bus on the 219 service from Barnsley to Doncaster.

Although it was still in service there were no passengers, said a company spokesman.

“The driver was taken to hospital but fortunately he doesn’t appear to have been seriously injured,” he said.

“An investigation has been launched by First to find out what happened, and the vehicle has been taken to our bodyshop for repairs.

South Yorkshire Police said the bus driver is believed to have suffered a minor injury and was taken to hospital for a check-up. The truck driver did not appear to suffer any injuries.

Meanwhile, more details have emerged about an incident involving an elderly woman being partially-trapped under a minibus in March Vale Rise, Conisbrough, on Monday afternoon.

The 85-year-old Conisbrough woman needed hospital treatment for a head injury and cuts after her mobility scooter was in collision with a minibus.

Firefighters arrived to find the casualty half under the bus and half under her scooter, and it took 40 minutes to get her free.

A police spokesman said: “The minibus, a Mercedes Sprinter, was stationary on the road when the woman parked behind it, anticipating it would move off forwards.

“But the driver reversed, colliding with the scooter which toppled over. The woman fell to the ground and suffered a cut to her head. She was taken to Doncaster Royal Infirmary, but not detained.”

The circumstances are under investigation.