Burning diesel floods road as single decker bursts into flames on hill

Crookes Road bus fire. Pic by Mark Simpson
Crookes Road bus fire. Pic by Mark Simpson
Share this article
Have your say

A BUS had to be evacuated on a busy Sheffield street after the engine compartment caught fire while passengers were onboard.

The Hillsborough-bound Stagecoach single decker was travelling along Crookes Road, Crookes, when it developed a fault.

Flames could be seen shooting from the engine compartment at the back of the number 52, before they spread and engulfed the inside of the vehicle, creating clouds of thick black smoke.

Firefighters were alerted to the blaze and four crew members wearing specialist breathing apparatus brought the flames under control.

Police used patrol cars to block off the road to other vehicles, between the junction with Crookesmoor Road all the way up the hill to the junction with Bute Street and sand was spread on the road to soak up spilled fuel.

The road was closed for around two-and-a-half hours until the damaged bus was towed away by a recovery lorry at 11pm on Wednesday.

Mark Simpson, who lives close by, was heading to the shops when he noticed all the traffic had stopped.

“I looked up the hill and the bus had flames licking up the rear end,” he said.

“The fire spread quite rapidly and there were a few pops and crackles as bits burnt. Diesel was pouring out the back of the bus onto the road before flowing down the hill.

“The whole area did - and still does - stink of diesel.

“I saw the driver head back into the bus before getting back out again - I presume he was checking everyone was off.

“The fire brigade arrived promptly and within seconds of them arriving the flames were out.”

Nobody was injured in the fire.

Earlier in the day passengers had to be evacuated from a First number 52 bus further up Crookes Road, after smoke started streaming from its engine compartment and the bus broke down.

Sue Hayes, operations director for Stagecoach Yorkshire, said: “The driver acted safely and professionally to evacuate all passengers immediately and there were no injuries. The cause of the fire is being investigated.”