But McCabe, who met The Star at Bramall Lane before this afternoon’s League One fixture against Port Vale, refused to elaborate on the club’s stance towards Jose Baxter who was suspended yesterday after failing a drugs test.
Explaining that funding had also been placed at manager Nigel Adkins’ disposal during the recent transfer window - “bids for players were made” - he said: “Yes, it is there. I know there is the definite possibility of bringing people in (on loan) albeit I’m not going to outline who those players are.”
“Nigel made approaches for people on a permanent basis but, unfortunately, those deals did not materialise before the deadline passed. However, while that was disappointing for everybody, he must also be applauded for being prudent and not just getting somebody for the sake of it who he didn’t really need or want.”
Baxter was absent from Adkins’ squad for the meeting with Vale after United were informed following Tuesday’s game at Bury that traces of a prohibited substance had been discovered in his system. The midfielder received a five month ban, with three of those suspended, when he tested positive for MDMA before last season’s play-off semi-finals. Once again, recreational rather than non-performance enhancing substance is thought to be the reason for the breach.
“We, as a club, released a statement at the time,” McCabe said. “And, as we explained at the time, procedures are being followed and we will be making no further comment on the matter until those have been completed.”