BREAKING: Callous couple jailed for horriffc murder of Sheffield man inside flat

A callous couple who murdered a defenceless Sheffield man attacking him with knives and a screwdriver have today been jailed.

David Webster, aged 49, of Leppings Lane, Hillsborough and Alison Moss, aged 46, of Fox Walk, Walkley, will spend 53 years between them in prison for the murder of 47-year-old Craig Wild.

Webster, who remained expressionless throughout the morning, was seen at one point to smile and nod to a supporter outside the court room door. He showed no emotion as the sentence was passed at around 3pm. He was jailed for life with a minimum term of 24 years and two months.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Moss, who was said to have 'lied' throughout the trial, was jailed for 29 years. One member of the public gallery waved to the killer and said 'see ya' as she was led away to the cells.

Craig Wild, 47, who was described as the 'life and soul of the party' who made people 'laugh out loud' was murdered inside Moss' Walkley flat in what was described as a 'brutal and sustained attack. He received 117 separate injuries many of which were carried out by by two knives and a screwdriver.

Webster pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing. Moss was found guilty by a jury.

More to follow.


Sheffield Crown Court heard how Moss and Webster had been drinking and taking drugs at the house, before they were joined by Mr Wild. An argument is then said to have broken out, before Webster launched a horrific attack on him.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The court heard neighbours raised the alarm after they heard shouting and swearing coming from Moss' house.

When officers arrived, Moss and Webster initially pretended they weren’t in, refusing to answer the door to officers. When they eventually did, they were met with a horrific sight.

Mr Wild was found lying on the living room floor, with a blood stained duvet covering him.

He was found with over 117 separate injuries caused by multiple weapons; a Stanley knife, kitchen knife and a screwdriver and also by being punched kicked and stamped on.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The court heard Webster made comments to officers, saying that he had made sure Mr Wild was dead and what he had planned to do with his body, had officers not turned up when they did. Moss denied any involvement in Mr Wild’s murder throughout the trial and continued to claim that she had not played any part in the attack. She stated that she had sat on the settee and covered her face throughout the ordeal.

Speaking after the jury returned their verdict on Moss yesterday, Detective Chief Inspector, Dave Stopford said: said: “Webster knew exactly what he was doing, from the second he struck Mr Wild with the knife. From that point onwards, his intention was to kill him. He admitted this stating that it was his full intention.

“He is a dangerous man who has not only shown absolutely no remorse for his actions but has appeared proud of what he has done. “Moss denied any involvement but the forensic evidence found on shoes and clothing proved that she had participated in this brutal murder. We gathered CCTV evidence to show the clothing she had been wearing prior to the attack. Moss changed her clothing and shoes before the police could gain access to the flat.

“Together the pair attempted to hide what had happened when officers attended the address. They are both extremely violent individuals who have murdered a defenceless man without any provocation. Mr Wild was a well-known and popular person in the community. I am very pleased that Moss has today been found guilty by a jury.”

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

A statement from Mr Wild's family read: “The impact our dearest Craig’s death has had on our family is one of total devastation for all of us who loved him so dearly.

“As Alison Moss pleaded not guilty we have had to go through the harrowing process of a trial. It’s been too much for most of us to attend and hear the shocking details of the way that Craig was killed. “The guilty verdict of Alison Moss today goes some way towards helping us as a family to come together and try to come to terms with his death, knowing that the people who were responsible will be brought to justice.

“We, as a family, would like to thank South Yorkshire Police, the CPS and the Victim Homicide Service for their continued hard work and their support through this process.”