Boy, 13, died in fire as petrol fumes ignited while cleaning motorbike by candlelight

A boy of 13 died when petrol fumes ignited as he cleaned a motorcycle by candlelight, an inquest has heard.

Tuesday, 14th March 2017, 9:04 pm
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 10:57 am
Jack Sheldon

Jack Sheldon’s badly burnt body was found in a shed at his home on Byron Avenue, Campsall, South Yorkshire, by firefighters who were unaware that anyone was inside.

Coroner Nicola Mundy said she had concerns about fire service systems after a four-minute delay was caused by sending the wrong fire engine to the scene.

Ms Mundy told Doncaster Coroner’s Court that neighbours became aware of the fire on October 27 when they saw smoke.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The shed where the fire happened

The inquest heard evidence from a number of people who made “valiant efforts” to put out the fire. But Ms Mundy said: “I do believe that, at this time, this was a fully developed fire and, sadly, it’s likely that Jack had already passed away at this time due to the intensity of the fire.”

The inquest heard that the force control room had received multiple calls regarding the fire and the nearest fire engine was not sent to the incident owing to an “error” when the calls were logged.

Ms Mundy said she did not think the resulting potential four-minute delay had altered the outcome, but she said she would raise the issues with the fire service.

Flowers left for Jack
The shed where the fire happened
Flowers left for Jack