Booze-and-drug fuelled thug grabbed his fiancée around the throat

A booze-and-cannabis fuelled thug grabbed his fiancée around the throat before she fell downstairs and banged her head.

Friday, 15th July 2016, 9:38 am
Updated Friday, 15th July 2016, 11:44 am
Chesterfield magistrates' court.

Chesterfield magistrates’ court heard on Wednesday, July 13, how Ryan Lee Jones, 20, of Bacons Lane, Chesterfield, had consumed four cans of lager, two glasses of wine and smoked £10 of cannabis when he attacked Emily Fulwood.

Prosecuting solicitor Sarah Haslam said: “The complainant called police to say her fiancé had had her by the throat and she had to throw him off to get him away.

“Police attended the address and arrested Jones for assault and other matters including possessing cannabis.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

“The victim stated he had grabbed her by the throat with his arm and she couldn’t breath and he had pushed her forwards causing her to fall downstairs and she banged her head on a concrete floor.

“The complainant added that Jones had said ‘burn-baby-burn’ in relation to initial threats to burn the house down.”

Jones later went back into the property and ripped the door off a kitchen unit, according to Ms Haslam, and he said he had been to the complainant’s mother’s to burn her house down.

Police confirmed Ms Fulwood had suffered a lump to her head, bruising to her left shoulder and left-upper arm and left elbow and scratches to her back.

Jones told police he had consumed four cans of lager, two glasses of wine and had smoked £10 worth of cannabis and had blacked-out and could not recall everything that had happened.

However, he accepted the cannabis had been his and that he had said he would set fire to the house but it had been a throw away comment.

He added that he remembered arguing after he had got home and falling downstairs with his arms around Ms Fulwood.

Jones pleaded guilty to assaulting Ms Fulwood by beating, causing criminal damage and possessing cannabis after the incident on June 24.

District Judge Andrew Davison adjourned the case until July 27 to consider a probation report before sentencing.