Bereaved brother of murder victim is fined for being drunk and disorderly

The brother of murder victim Gemma Stevens has been fined for being drunk and disorderly after he has been struggling since her death.

By The Newsroom
Tuesday, 23rd May 2017, 9:31 am
Updated Sunday, 4th June 2017, 9:50 pm
Chesterfield magistrates' court.
Chesterfield magistrates' court.

Chesterfield magistrates’ court heard on Thursday, May 18, how Andrew Stevens, 35, of Derby Road, Birdholme, Chesterfield, had been shouting and swearing and abusive to police when he was arrested for being drunk and disorderly in a public place.

Prosecuting solicitor Becky Allsop said Stevens had a verbal exchange with a couple he did not know when he was outside their flat before police arrived and he abused officers and continued shouting and swearing.

Stevens pleaded guilty to being drunk and disorderly after the incident between Cheedle Close and Chasecliff Close, in Chesterfield, on May 3.

Defence solicitor Steve Brint revealed Stevens is the brother of murder victim Gemma Stevens and he has struggled with alcohol and homelessness but is seeking bereavement counselling.

Mr added that Stevens had been out celebrating with a former partner after he had learned that he would soon take possession of a house.

However, Mr Brint said that the two got separated and Stevens went looking for his former partner and ended up knocking on a wrong window at a block of flats.

Mr Brint added that Stevens has been in and out of custody and drugs and drink have been his downfall and even though he has stopped taking drugs his alcohol intake has increased.

The court heard how Stevens has previous convictions and had recently been released from a custodial sentence when he was arrested for being drunk and disorderly.

Magistrates fined Stevens £80 and ordered him to pay a £30 victim surcharge and £85 costs.

Gemma Stevens, 32, was beaten to death at her home on Catherine Street, Brampton, Chesterfield, before her home was torched in March, last year.

Gary Tyson, 36, of Shirland Street, Chesterfield, was found guilty of murder and admitted arson before he was sentenced to life imprisonment in October, last year.