Barnsley 1 Ipswich Town 1: Mick McCarthy's men grab dramatic late leveller

A second-half strike from Marley Watkins wasn't quite enough for Barnsley to see off Mick McCarthy's stuttering Ipswich.

Saturday, 11th March 2017, 4:15 pm
Updated Friday, 24th March 2017, 10:08 am

Watkins’ eighth goal of the season was converted with aplomb, only for the Tractor Boys to grab a scarcely-deserved point thanks to Tom Lawrence’s dramatic 93rd-minute leveller.

The Reds probably shaded a rather dull opening half at Oakwell.

They created the clearer-cut chances, with Adam Armstrong seeing a crisp early shot well beaten away by Bartosz Bialkowski.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Armstrong again went close when he headed over inexplicably from just four yards after Matty James’ intended shot was heading wide.

At the other end, Adam Davies produced a superb double stop in the 18th minute, thwarting David McGoldrick and Cole Skuse in rapid succession.

The Reds bossed the closing stages of the opening 45 minutes, with Armstrong and Josh Scowen both coming close to breaking the deadlock with strikes from distance.

The Reds opened the second period brightly, and James threatened when his flying volley from 20 yards was well gathered by Bialkowski.

Ipswich responded with sub Grant Ward firing in a strike which was deflected narrowly wide.

The Reds got their goal in the 58th minute.

It was a rather straight-forward strike, with James playing in Watkins, and the attacking midfielder coolly slotted past Bialkowski after charging clear.

Sub Grant Ward fluffed Ipswich’s best late chance, before Lawrence struck with almost the last kick of the game after meeting Brett Pitman’s cross.

Barnsley (4-4-2): Davies; Yiadom, Roberts, MacDonald, Jones; Watkins, Scowen, James, Hammill; Bradshaw, Armstrong (Williams, 79).

Subs not used: Townsend, Moncur, Jackson, Mowatt, Hedges, Kent.

Ipswich (5-3-2): Bialkowski; Spence, Knudsen, Chambers, Berra, Kenlock (Sears, 62); Skuse, Diagouraga (Ward, 52), Huws (Pitman, 84); McGoldrick, Lawrence.

Subs not used: Gerken, Smith, Bru, Moore.

Referee: Stephen Martin (Staffordshire).