In the 1880’s, Williams son, Adolphus, joined the company. He was no potter, but he was an ideas man with a flare for marketing. His father had been producing specially commissioned commemorative pieces bearing heraldic emblems and he saw an opportunity to expand.
Adolphus realised that such wares would make great souvenirs for the mass market who, taking advantage of increased wages, were taking more holidays and day tripping on the growing railway network.
He worked his way round the country over the next 20 years making contacts until he had a network of more than 1000 local agents.
Each agent was responsible for promoting their local coats of arms which could be put on up to 600 small, mass produced named models.
Remembering 'beautiful' and 'amazing' Blake and Tristan Barrass three years on from tragic Sheffield brothers' funeral
EuroMillions: Mystery winner from South Yorkshire has won £79,242.50 on The National Lottery
Sheffield Council employees sacked as fraud increases including theft and excessive internet use during work
Power cut Sheffield: Hundreds of homes in Hillfoot area without power ahead of 28C heatwave today
Sheffield sexual assault: Girl, 13, victim of 'serious' sexual assault in Chapeltown
The local agents could ask for their symbols to be placed on just about anything.
Goss also produced a popular series of hand painted buildings, known as the Goss Cottages; examples included Shakespeare’s House and Robert Burns’ birthplace.
However the heraldic crested wares still made up the bulk of the company’s sales.
These wares became less popular after the First World War and in 1929 the Goss family sold out to a competitor Arcadian China.
Standards slowly fell and eventually the factory closed in 1944.