ANDY Bell had a lucky escape after a gas leak but feels his demands for the installers of his new boiler to investigate have fallen on deaf ears.
Andy, aged 52, had a new Worcester Bosch boiler fitted by Help-Link of Castleford at a cost of £2,000.
Two weeks later, when his daughter Sam, aged 28, visited, she smelled gas and he called the National Grid emergency line.
An engineer came out and immediately cut off his supply, condemning it as ‘dangerous’ and calling it a ‘significant leak’.
Fortunately Andy had emergency home insurance with Barclays and they sent an engineer who fitted a washer and got his heating and hot water back on the next day.
Andy then rang Help-Link to inform them of the incident. But he says he was told there must have been a problem with the boiler and to ring Worcester Bosch.
Worcester Bosch sent an engineer who declared everything in order.
Andy tried Help-Link again, but contacted Action Desk claiming the firm failed to respond to his queries or return his calls.
He said: “I feel as though I’ve been fobbed off and Help-Link aren’t taking me seriously. How could they know over the phone that the fault was on the boiler?
“I think a gas leak is a serious issue which needs investigating.
“I have a poor sense of smell and I was laid up at home after a hernia operation immediately after the boiler was fitted, so maybe I got used to the gas. But at the very least I was breathing it in for two weeks.”
Help-Link managing director, Mel Butler, said: “The gentleman concerned did not report his gas leak to Help-Link.
“If he had we would have ensured the appropriate emergency service provider was contacted and our engineers would have been mobilised in accordance with our rigorous Gas Safety procedures. We have robust procedures to ensure all customers are dealt with efficiently.”
A Worcester Bosch spokesman said: “Every boiler is rigorously tested to ensure it is 100 per cent free from leaks. We have the data to show Mr Bell’s boiler left the factory in perfect condition.”