ACTION DESK: Help for Sheffield couple plagued by noise from neighbours’ wild parties

editorial image
Have your say

A Sheffield couple contacted Action Desk after being plagued by noise from wild parties thrown by next-door neighbours for more than 15 years.

Paul and Susan Reddington, who live in Highfield, said young residents living in a ‘half-way’ house next to them play loud thumping music into the early hours of the morning

They say they have also had their tyres slashed and garden ornaments broken.

The couple said they were fed up of complaining to the council and asked Action Desk to step in.

Paul, aged 59, said: “This has been going on for so long, with different tenants for about 16 years. There are parties until 3am and we can’t sleep. We just don’t know what to do.

We are fed up of complaining to the police and to the council.

“There doesn’t seem to be any end to it. Nobody wants to know. It’s just constant noise. It’s always at the back of your mind. Even when it is quiet you’re just sat waiting for the next party. It’s horrible.”

Susan, aged 65, added: It’s just awful, to be honest. But I think, ‘Why should we move?’

“It’s not us that is the problem. It’s just been horrendous. I had some tealights in a railway sleeper on the wall and they broke them after a party. We even contacted our MP but I don’t know what else we can do.”


I contacted Sheffield Council and asked if more could be done to help Paul and Susan. The council said they had issued a warning to the people living in the neighbouring property in January.

Ian Ashmore, head of environmental regulation at Sheffield Council said: “We are working with the residents to monitor the reported disturbance and will take appropriate action based on our findings. We will also make contact with those causing the noise to explain what is considered acceptable and how their behaviour is affecting their neighbours.

“People who are experiencing nuisance noise should report problems through our Contact Centre on 0114 2734567 during normal working hours. The complaint will then be referred to an investigating officer. We would like to reassure residents that we take these complaints seriously and we will do all we can to help people tackle the problem.”