Meadowhall is set to be transformed by a £300 million plan for a massive new leisure complex – creating 1,000 jobs.
To celebrate the exciting news for Sheffield and South Yorkshire, here's 14 things you never knew about Meadowhall
READ MORE: £300m Meadowhall expansion plan will create 1,000 jobs
1. Meadowhall is the largest shopping centre in Yorkshire.
2. It is the eighth largest shopping centre in the UK.
3. It was built on land formerly occupied by steelworks.
4. It opened on September 4, 1990
5. It has a floor area of more than 139,555m
6. The centre is home to more than 280 stores.
7. There were 19.8 million visitors during its first year.
8. The centre now attracts 30 million shoppers a year.
9. Pop group Moloko recorded the video for their single Fun For Me at Meadowhall.
10. Because of it being crowded at busy times, it has become known as Meadowhell among locals.
11. In 2007, the centre was overwhelmed by the floods. After a massive clean up operation, it was soon back in business.
12. Meadowhall recycles 97% of its waste from retailers and customers.
13. In 2006, Meadowhall began harvesting rainwater. Storage tanks collect rainfall which is then used around the building for flushing toilets and cleaning.
14. The adjoining railway station, Meadowhall Interchange, welcomed 2.225 million passengers in 2014-15.