Weekend Walks: Tantalising look at Bradfield

Have your say

Starting from the village car park the stream on the left is Agden Beck which comes from Agden Reservoir and joins Dale Dyke Beck a hundred yards downstream forming the River Loxley before flowing into Damflask Reservoir.

The house on the right is Nether Farm, built around 1820.

Leaving the car park and bearing left the former Low Bradfield Junior & Infant School and School House are on your right. The school was built in 1867 to replace one on a different site that was washed away in the Sheffield Flood of 1864. The school closed in 1985 with 32 scholars being transferred to nearby Dungworth School. The school and house have been sold to a private buyer.

After passing the bus shelter, bear right into Mill Lee Road and cross Chapel Bridge (which was completely destroyed in the flood). Below the bridge was once a sheep/penfold where livestock were washed before being auctioned at the nearby Plough Inn. The building on the left is the former Wesleyan Chapel, built in 1817 and housed 154 scholars. It was a temporary school following the destruction of the old school by the flood of 1864; it is now the headquarters of Bradfield Parish Council. On the wall below the building is a stone dragon rescued from a derelict works in Oughtibridge. On the right is the new Wesleyan Chapel opened in 1899 at a cost of £1585 to seat 190 adults. It held its last service in August 1993 and was subsequently sold to a private buyer for conversion to a house.

Next on the right are the Filter Houses, built in 1913 and extended in 1954, which used to filter water from Strines, Dale Dyke And Agden reservoirs. In 1930 it had the first telephone installed in Bradfield. The premises closed in 1994 following the completion of the new Water Treatment Works in the Loxley Valley. On the left are six council houses and a private house built during the 1960s.

Turn left at the Plough Inn, (the road ahead goes to Ughill) which was originally built as a farmhouse, listed as a Beerhouse in 1841 and officially listed by the brewery in 1847.

Turn left at the former Police House built c1960 (the original police house was in the middle house in a row of cottages half a mile further down the road) This is School Lane; the farm on the right is Mill Farm, while on the left is Far Fold built in 1735 which withstood the 1864 flood. In the area close to the bridge stood the original school built around 1706 which was completely destroyed in the flood.

The headmaster Mr. Nicholls and his family managed to escape to safety by running up the steps opposite the end of the bridge and on to higher ground. Damflask Reservoir is on the right.

After crossing the bridge, turn left. On this site stood a three storey corn mill; records show a corn mill at Bradfield from around 1218. The last corn mill replaced one destroyed in the flood which was driven by a water turbine (as opposed to a water wheel for the previous mills).

Unfortunately the corn mill caught fire in 1940 and was completely destroyed and never rebuilt. The mill race and dam remains can be seen over the wall on the left just before reaching Smithy Garage. The garage was previously a Blacksmiths Shop until the late 1930s.

Bear right keeping beside the field wall. The group of houses opposite are Burnside Cottages, the earliest of which dates back to around 1625.

Moving further on, Burnside House is the large house on the right, after which we come to Woodfall Lane which leads to High Bradfield.

Do not turn up Woodfall Lane, but walk along towards The Sands, with the Village Hall on the left. The new village hall opened in 2007 replacing the previous one built c1936.

For more interesting walks to download visit Bradfield Walkers

Cross the stream by the footbridge to return to the car park.