Now the building has been converted into restaurants and bars and the history of the biggest strike in Britain since 1926 and the importance the building played lives on only as memories now.
The building was commissioned by Arthur Scargill in the early 1980s in an effort to move the NUM from London and the building opened in 1988. Following the decline of the mining industry the NUM again relocated its headquarters to Barnsley. The NUM occupied the building for less than four years.
It then stood derelict for more than two decades and was threatened with demolition in 2006 and following a £5 million refit the building became home to three restaurants on the ground floor and offices on the first and second floors in March 2016.
Take a look back at some of the key events which happened in and outside of St James’ House, including the continued protests which carried on through the decades and the conversion into eateries and office space.