From old pubs and beautiful churches to venues like The Crucible Theatre and the City Hall, the majority of the locations given special status would come first on any roll call of Sheffield’s most precious places.
But less obvious spots have been listed too – ones that might not even catch the eye on a day-to-day basis. Here are some of the most unusual listed buildings in Sheffield.
1. A57 milepost, Hollow Meadows
We start on the A57 heading into, or out of, Sheffield - this milepost, 80 metres west of the driveway to Moscar Cross Farm, is Grade II-listed. On its left side it reads 'Manchester, 30 miles, Glossop, 16¼ miles', and on the right is written 'Sheffield, eight miles'. It was made in the 19th century from cast iron fixed to a gritstone pillar.
2. Crucible stack, Blonk Street
This one is in the city centre, and consists of a brick-built crucible stack dating from the 19th century - an example of Sheffield's once numerous small steelworks whose output complemented that of the large scale bulk producers. It is Grade II-listed, and its special status means it had to be retained when the iQuarter apartments were built around it, forming a surprising feature in the lobby.
3. Sewer gas lamp near Bramall Lane
This sewer gas lamp is Grade II-listed and sits north of the junction of Cherry Street and Lancing Road, near Bramall Lane stadium. Cast iron and painted blue, it dates from the late 19th century and was made by the Webb Lamp Company. There are still several of these lamps across Sheffield, generally in hilly areas - they were intended to remove sewer gases and their hazards, and produced a soft glow.
4. Gate piers on Richmond Road
These gate piers can be found outside numbers 304 to 330, Richmond Road. Grade II-listed, the unassuming pieces of history date from around 1700 and would have formed part of the entrance to Gray's Farm.