Queen rules Prince Harry and Prince William will be separated at Prince Philip’s funeral procession

Prince WIlliam and Prince Harry will be separated at Prince Philip's funeral this Saturday

Friday, 16th April 2021, 7:17 am

The Duke of Cambridge and Duke of Sussex will walk about during the procession at St George’s Chapel in Windsor, according to reports.

William and Harry, whose troubled relationship has been well documented, will be separated by their cousin Peter Phillips when the trio walk in a line behind their grandfather’s coffin at Windsor Castle on Saturday.

The future king will also be one step ahead of his brother when the coffin is taken into St George’s Chapel, moving ahead of Harry as the royal family, including the Prince of Wales, go forward in pairs.

Sign up to our public interest bulletins - get the latest news on the Coronavirus

Sign up to our public interest bulletins - get the latest news on the Coronavirus

Prince Harry, Prince Phillip and Prince William enjoy the atmosphere during the 2015 Rugby World Cup Final match between New Zealand and Australia at Twickenham Stadium (Photo by Phil Walter/Getty Images)

Details of the duke’s funeral were released by Buckingham Palace on Thursday and final preparations for his farewell are expected to continue on Friday.

A palace spokesman said the Queen and her family are grateful for all the messages of condolence from around the world and have been touched to hear so many people – both young and old – sharing fond memories of the duke.

The Queen addressed the nation on the eve of her mother’s funeral in 2002 to thank the country for their support and the love and honour shown to the 101-year-old.

In a televised address, the monarch said she had been deeply moved by the outpouring of affection and the overwhelming numbers of people paying their respects since the Queen Mother’s death.

It is not clear whether the Queen will deliver an address to the nation on Friday ahead of Saturday’s service.

Harry has spoken in the past about how he and William are on “different paths” and have good and bad days in their relationship.

Their brotherly bond was put under further strain after the Sussexes’ interview with Oprah Winfrey where they accused a royal family member of racism, something William strongly denied.

Asked whether arrangements for the procession reflected the royal siblings’ relationship, a Buckingham Palace spokesman said: “This is a funeral, we’re not going to be drawn into those perceptions of drama, or anything like that, this is a funeral.

“The arrangements have been agreed, and they represent Her Majesty’s wishes, so we’re not going to say anything more on that.”

The palace has confirmed the Queen, like all the 30 guests invited to the service, will wear a face mask during the funeral which will last 50 minutes.

A palace spokesman said the monarch had to make “difficult decisions about who would be there” due to Covid restrictions limiting mourners.

The Queen will be sitting by herself in the Quire of St George’s Chapel, with all mourners following Covid guidelines and remaining socially distanced, but for the short car journey to the place of worship from the Castle she will be joined by a lady-in-waiting.

Philip was the guiding force behind his funeral arrangements and reflecting his life-long association with the Royal Navy, Buglers of the Royal Marines will sound Action Stations during the service at the duke’s request.

It is played on a warship to signal all hands should go to battle stations and is sometimes featured at funerals of naval men.

A reduced choir of just four singers will feature during the service and the guests will follow Covid rules and not sing.