PrettyLittleThing responds to concerns about coronavirus at Sheffield warehouse

PrettyLittleThing has responded to concerns about coronavirus at a warehouse in Sheffield, after a worker claimed two colleagues were sent home with suspected symptoms.

Saturday, 25th April 2020, 3:00 pm

The clothing company, which employs hundreds of people at the warehouse in Tinsley, said it was ‘strictly adhering’ to government guidelines to keep its staff stafe and there had been no confirmed cases of COVID-19 amongst its warehouse workers.

PrettyLittleThing is part of the boohoo group, which uses the distribution centre in Tinsley, that is owned and operated by Clipper Logistics.

Sign up to our public interest bulletins - get the latest news on the Coronavirus

Sign up to our public interest bulletins - get the latest news on the Coronavirus

The warehouse in Tinsley, Sheffield, which is used by the clothing company PrettyLittleThing (pic: Google)

A spokeswoman for the boohoo group said the firm was in ‘constant contact’ with managers at the site to ensure they are implementing the ‘stringent government guidelines’ and its CEO had visited twice in the last two weeks to see the measures being taken and speak to staff personally to ensure they are happy.

“For the purpose of clarity the site in Sheffield is 1.2 million sqft and there are no more than 275 people working at any one time,” she added.

“There are extensive social distancing and hygiene measures in place across the site to ensure that everyone is adhering to the two-metre rule and stays safe.

“The Government have issued clear guidance on businesses that are allowed to continue to operate and this includes all on-line retailers and therefore whilst permitted and it is safe to do so we will remain open.”

She added that any workers who were at high-risk or needed to self-isolated for seven or 14 days had been identified and stayed at home.

A PrettyLittleThing worker based at the Tinsley warehouse, who asked to remain anonymous told how he had heard from colleagues that two employees had been sent home on Thursday, April 23 with suspected coronavirus symptoms.

“We haven’t heard anything from management about this and I believe they should have let workers know so we can fully protect ourselves,” he said.

“They’ve got distancing measures in place but not all employees are following them, and I don’t think it’s possible with so many people working here and the fact they’re trying to take on more staff.”