Number of Doncaster hospital coronavirus patients dips below 100

The number of people being treated in Doncaster’s hospitals for coronavirus has dipped below 100, health bosses have said.

Thursday, 4th February 2021, 6:42 pm

In its weekly update on the coronavirus situation in the town, bosses at Doncaster and Bassetlaw NHS Teaching Hospitals Foundation Trust said there were currently 96 patients receiving care for Covid-19 at its three hospitals – Doncaster Royal Infirmary, Mexborough’s Montagu Hospital and Worksop’s Bassetlaw Hospital.

A spokesman said: “At the time of writing 96 patients are staying with us who have tested positive for COVID-19. The breakdown of this is 72 at Doncaster Royal Infirmary, 21 at Bassetlaw and three at Montagu Hospital. The age range is between 38 and 94.

“Of these patients, 11 require intensive care - and we wish them the very best.

Sign up to our public interest bulletins - get the latest news on the Coronavirus

Sign up to our public interest bulletins - get the latest news on the Coronavirus

The number of coronavirus patients in Doncaster has dipped below 100.

“This week we have registered 24 hour periods where our inpatient numbers have dipped below 100, and long may this continue. Keep up the good work, stay safe and stay strong, and most importantly, remember hands, face and space.”

The hospital Trust said earlier this week, it had discharged its 2,000th patient to have been treated at the hospitals for coronavirus.

Doncaster’s current death toll stands at 675, after one further fatality was recorded in the last 24 hours.

In Sheffield, the city has now hit the grim milestone of 1,000 coronavirus deaths after five further fatalities were recorded in the latest NHS figures.

In Barnsley, five further deaths increased the total to 534. Rotherham’s total rose by two to 521.

Nationally, a further 630 people, who tested positive for Covid-19 have died, bringing the total number of confirmed reported deaths in hospitals in England to 74,249.

Meanwhile, more than 20,000 people in Doncaster have received their first coronavirus vaccine.

The number is expected to reach 70,000 by mid February, while nationally, more than 10 million people have already received a Covid jab.

Earlier this week, Doncaster’s director of public health, Dr Rupert Suckling said that while the number of coronavirus infections in the town was reducing, he said that numbers were coming down at a ‘fairly slow rate’ and urged people to keep following the rules.