Hundreds of dental procedures cancelled by hospital in Sheffield during first lockdown
Hundreds of treatments were cancelled at Sheffield’s dental hospital during the spring lockdown.
Charles Clifford hospital postponed 278 procedures during the three month lockdown but says it is now carrying out all routine treatments.
The hospital said it also saw an increase in the number of patient cancellations as people considered the risks to themselves.
A Freedom of Information request revealed all the postponements between March 24 and June 8.
Michael Harper, chief operating officer at Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust said: “During the first wave of coronavirus we had national guidance to pause the majority of dental procedures to protect patients and staff.
“However we did continue to provide cancer, urgent and emergency treatment throughout the first wave.
“We also saw a number of cancellations by patients who felt they did not want to come into hospital at that time.
“Since then we have been able to re-design the way we provide dental care and our facilities and we are carrying out all routine procedures again.”
“Our teams have been incredible and the number of people we have waiting is now 600 less than there was in April."
He added that a small number of patients have deferred their appointment.
In these confusing and worrying times, local journalism is more vital than ever. Thanks to everyone who helps us ask the questions that matter by taking out a digital subscription or buying a paper. We stand together. Nancy Fielder, editor.