Full list of all the underlying health conditions that make you a priority for the Covid vaccine
Over 18 million people have now been vaccinated in the UK, with many of them a priority due to a health condition – but what puts you in the highest risk category?
Almost 19 million people have now had the first dose of the vaccine across the UK, with nine group categories deciding who should be invited next.
There is good evidence that certain underlying health conditions increase the risk of morbidity and mortality from COVID-19, and because of this those in clinical risk groups aged 16 years and over have been prioritised after those in the over 65 age bracket.
This means that ‘critical risk’ groups – people with underlying health conditions – fall into the sixth group, before those aged 60 and over.
More than seven million people are in the sixth JCVI priority group, and it is hoped all of these will be offered the first dose of the vaccine by the end of April.
What are the main risk groups?
Anyone over the age of 16 with the following underlying health conditions will be prioritised for the vaccine:
- Chronic respiratory disease, including chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), cystic fibrosis and severe asthma.
- Chronic heart disease (and vascular disease)
- Chronic kidney disease
- Chronic liver disease
- Chronic neurological disease including epilepsy
- Down’s syndrome
- Severe and profound learning disability
- Solid organ, bone marrow and stem cell transplant recipients
- People with specific cancers
- Immunosuppression due to disease or treatment
- Asplenia and splenic dysfunction
- Morbid obesity
- Severe mental illness
The UK on target to give everyone over the age of 50 at least one dose of the vaccine by April 15, and the Health Secretary Matt Hancock will give an update on vaccine groups this evening, February 26, at 5pm.
The Health Secretary has previously said that the UK is ‘on track’ in its vaccine rollout, with all of the top priority groups being offered their first dose.
Visit the NHS website to book a Covid vaccine if you are in one of the categories but are to be invited.