Former Sheffield United defender Kyle Walker apologises for flouting coronavirus lockdown rules with escorts

Kyle Walker is facing disciplinary action from Manchester City despite apologising after breaching lockdown conditions and paying for escorts to visit his house.

By Lloyd Bent
Sunday, 5th April 2020, 6:35 pm

The former Sheffield United defender has said sorry after it was widely reported he held a party at his home last week, breaking the Government's rules on social distancing. The country is in lockdown to fight the coronavirus outbreak.

A report in the Sun said that last Tuesday (March 31) Walker and a friend paid £2,200 for Louise McNamara and a 24-year-old Brazilian woman to visit his home.

The escorts reportedly left the next day. The Manchester City and and England right-back then used his social media accounts to urge the public to stay indoors and follow government guidelines on social distancing.

File photo dated 07-01-2020 of Manchester City's Kyle Walker. PA Photo. Issue date: Sunday April 5, 2020. Kyle Walker is facing disciplinary action from Manchester City despite apologising after breaching lockdown conditions. See PA story SOCCER Man City Walker. Photo credit should read Martin Rickett/PA Wire.

In a statement released today, Walker said: "I want to take this opportunity to issue a public apology for the choices I made last week which have resulted in a story today (Sunday) about my private life in a tabloid newspaper."

"I understand that my position as a professional footballer brings the responsibility of being a role model. As such, I want to apologise to my family, friends, football club, supporters and the public for letting them down.

"There are heroes out there making a vital difference to society at the moment, and I have been keen to help support and highlight their amazing sacrifices and life-saving work over the past week.

"My actions in this matter are in direct contrast to what I should have been doing regarding the lockdown. And I want to re-iterate the message: Stay home, stay safe."

Football is on hold with the coronavirus outbreak shutting down sport and City will now look into Walker's conduct.

A club statement read: "Manchester City FC are aware of a story in a tabloid newspaper regarding the private life of Kyle Walker in relation to a breach of the UK lockdown and social distancing rules.

"We are disappointed to hear the allegations, note Kyle's swift statement and apology, and will be conducting an internal disciplinary procedure in the coming days."

A message from the Editor:

Thank you for reading this story on our website. While I have your attention, I also have an important request to make of you.

With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our advertisers - and consequently the revenue we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription.

Subscribe to The Star website and enjoy unlimited access to local news and information online and on our app. With a digital subscription, you can read more than 5 articles, see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content.

Visit https://www.thestar.co.uk/subscriptions now to sign up.

Our journalism costs money and we rely on advertising, print and digital revenues to help to support them. By supporting us, we are able to support you in providing trusted, fact-checked content for this website.

Thank you

Nancy Fielder, editor