Fans kept waiting on The Killers' concert in Doncaster amid UK coronavirus lockdown

Fans of American rockers The Killers are still waiting to hear if a huge concert by the band in Doncaster later this year will go ahead amid the coronavirus crisis.

Tuesday, 24th March 2020, 12:01 pm
Updated Tuesday, 24th March 2020, 12:02 pm

The group are due to bring their Exploding The Mirage tour to Doncaster on May 26 – and last week said that they still planned for the show to go ahead.

But since then, mass gatherings and social events have been banned by the Government and it now seems improbable that the concert will be able to take place.

Since last week’s announcement by the band, fans have been kept waiting.

Sign up to our public interest bulletins - get the latest news on the Coronavirus

Sign up to our public interest bulletins - get the latest news on the Coronavirus

The Killers.

A statement said: “We’ve been putting this tour together for a long time and we are extremely excited to finally share it with you.

“We have of course been paying close attention to the recent precautionary measures around the world and trust that the coronavirus is expected to follow traditonal flu season patterns.

“We look forward to a great summer of shows.

The concert is one of the biggest ever held in Doncaster with thousands of tickets already sold for the show, which is due to kick off the band’s UK tour.

Doncaster Rovers' fixtures at the Keepmoat Stadium have been cancelled until at least April 30 as part of the Premier League and EFL shutdown – although the season could be postponed for even longer as the COVID-19 outbreak continues to spread.

Dozens of other concerts and shows have been called off and venues closed.