Doncaster police step up action against Covid deniers in bid to tackle disinformation

Police in Doncaster say they are working to stamp out coronavirus deniers in a bid to clamp down on misinformation being spread during the pandemic.

Thursday, 4th February 2021, 3:30 pm

It comes after a woman was banned from hospitals after filming videos saying coronavirus was a hoax.

Hannah Dean, who claims to be a "registered journalist" online, filmed staff and took pictures of empty corridors at hospitals around the southeast of England which she then shared online to argue there was no "visual evidence" of the coronavirus crisis.

And last year, a Doncaster woman, 46, appeared in court charged with breaking coronavirus lockdown rules after filming videos at Doncaster Royal Infirmary and Mexborough’s Montagu Hospital.

Sign up to our public interest bulletins - get the latest news on the Coronavirus

Sign up to our public interest bulletins - get the latest news on the Coronavirus

Police in Doncaster say they are clamping down on coronavirus misinformation.

A spokesman for South Yorkshire Police said: “We are working closely with partners across the county to tackle mis and dis-information and ensure people are accurately informed throughout the pandemic.”

The warning comes after Britain’s NHS boss also blasted 'nonsense' Covid-deniers over 'empty' hospital videos

NHS England chief executive Sir Simon Stevens launched a blistering attack on people who post videos online showing empty corridors to try and show the health service is not under pressure.

Sir Simon said that posting such clips meant people were “responsible for potentially changing behaviour that will kill people”.

“It’s an insult to the nurse coming home after 12 hours in critical care, having worked her guts out under the most demanding and trying circumstances,” he went on.

“There’s nothing more demoralising than having that kind of nonsense spouted when it’s most obviously untrue.”

Prime Minister Boris Johnson also said people who stood outside hospitals and claimed covid was a hoax “needed to grow up”.

Others allege the pandemic has been planned since 2012, that there is a plot to reduce the world population through a “new world order” or that 5G phone masts cause coronavirus.

Meanwhile, a 37-year-old Doncaster man is due to stand trial at Westminster Magistrates in London on April 28, charged with flouting coronavirus lockdown restrictions by attending a anti-Covid demonstration in London’s Hyde Park last year.

South Yorkshire Police now has a dedicated unit for breaches of the coronavirus regulations – and have launched an online page where people can report those who flout rules on mask wearing or mixing households.

Breaches can be reported online HERE or by 101.