Doncaster coronavirus death toll rises to 68 as DRI doctor among victims

The coronavirus death toll in Doncaster has risen again, with a popular Doncaster Royal Infirmary doctor among the victims.

Thursday, 23rd April 2020, 2:46 pm
Updated Thursday, 23rd April 2020, 2:47 pm

According to latest NHS figures, there have now been 68 COVID-19 deaths in the Doncaster and Bassetlaw Trust area – an increase of four on yesterday’s figure.

The figures do not include any deaths in care homes or the community.

There have been a total of 280 cases recorded across the Trust’s three hospitals which includes Doncaster Royal Infirmary, Mexborough’s Montagu Hospital and Worksop’s Bassetlaw Hospital.

Sign up to our public interest bulletins - get the latest news on the Coronavirus

Sign up to our public interest bulletins - get the latest news on the Coronavirus

Dr Medhat Atalla is among the Doncaster victims of coronavirus.

Last night, the Trust announced that Dr Medhat Atalla, a doctor at Doncaster Royal Infirmary, was among the latest victims.

In a joint statement, Dr Tim Noble, Medical Director, and Richard Parker OBE, Chief Executive at Doncaster and Bassetlaw Teaching Hospitals, said: "It is with immense sadness that we inform you that our colleague, Dr Medhat Atalla, has passed away following treatment for Covid-19 at Doncaster Royal Infirmary.

"Dr Atalla became a full-time member of our Trust in 2014, when he was appointed as a Consultant Geriatrician on our Gresley Unit.

"A hugely popular and respected colleague, Dr Atalla was a very special human being who practised medicine across three continents throughout his career, affecting the lives of so many in such a positive way. He was a truly gentle gentleman and he will be hugely missed by us all.”

Nationally, a further 514 people have died, bringing the total number of confirmed reported deaths in hospitals in England to 16,786.

Earlier this week, DBTH said 100 coronavirus patients had been allowed home after treatment.