Coronavirus update issued over World Snooker Championship in Sheffield

There are no plans to postpone or cancel this year’s World Snooker Championship in Sheffield over coronavirus, it has been announced, with the sport’s boss sending out a defiant message.

Friday, 13th March 2020, 8:50 pm
Updated Monday, 16th March 2020, 6:38 pm

In a statement issued today, Friday, March 13, World Snooker said: “As it stands, our intention is that our upcoming events will go ahead as planned. This includes next week’s Tour Championship in Llandudno, and the World Championship in Sheffield.

“However, we must consider all scenarios and we will follow government advice. The health and safety of our fans, players and staff is of course our priority.”

Sign up to our public interest bulletins - get the latest news on the Coronavirus

Sign up to our public interest bulletins - get the latest news on the Coronavirus

The 2020 Betfred World Championship is scheduled to take place at The Crucible theatre in Sheffield from April 18 to May 4, with many sessions of the prestigious tournament having already sold out.

World Snooker chairman Barry Hearn today shared a tweet confirming that he would not be cancelling or postponing any UK events until the Government ‘says he has to’.

That came after he responded to a message yesterday praising his approaching and saying ‘it'll take more than an over-hyped virus to stop snooker fans turning up to see some high quality action’ by tweeting ‘that’s the spirit!’.

The Crucible Theatre in Sheffield during the 2019 Betfred World Championship (pic: Nigel French/PA)

Numerous sporting events across the UK have been postponed to help restrict the spread of coronavirus, including the London Marathon and Premier League fixtures.

Three cases of coronavirus have so far been confirmed in Sheffield, according to the latest update from Public Health England, with the UK total now standing at 797.