One of South Yorkshire’s oldest firms of solicitors has announced plans to move from two sites into a city centre office block.
Wake Smith, which has been established in Sheffield for more than 200 years, is leaving offices on Clarkehouse Road, opposite the Botanical Gardens, and Campo Lane, behind Sheffield Cathedral.
It is taking Grade ‘A’ offices in the Velocity V1 tower on Tenter Street in a move described as a “pledge of future commitment to the city.”
It is scheduled for 2016.
The firm, which became a limited company earlier this year, employs 100, including 46 ‘fee earners’.
Director John Baddeley, said: “The plan to move Wake Smith into a key city centre location is partly due to the company’s growth ambitions but is also a clear commitment to the city of Sheffield and a landmark in this company’s development.
“We will consolidate two offices which are currently located several miles apart and bring the entire team under one roof, following 25 years of operations from our flagship Clarkehouse Road offices.
“This will allow for significant efficiency improvements, provide improved client meeting facilities, IT and systems upgrades and will also place us in a key location.”
He added: “The announcement of our move has been made to staff and we are currently scheduled to relocate into Velocity V1 in the early part of 2016.”
The firm was founded in 1802 by Bernard John Wake as Wake & Sons.
It amalgamated with Smith Smith and Fielding in 1934 to become Wake Smith & Co.
That firm merged with Benson Clegg in August 2006 and then with Tofields in 2007 to form Wake Smith & Tofields.
In May 2011 it converted to a limited liability partnership and in 2015 the LLP became Wake Smith Solicitors Ltd.