New academy in Sheffield will provide skills for a career in the military

A new Military Academy is set to open in Sheffield, giving young adults a great opportunity to train to be in the military or the police force.

Saturday, 24th October 2020, 4:45 pm

The company behind the academy is training provider Learning Curve Group, whoch has military and fitness academies in Sunderland, Leeds, Middlesbrough, and Wakefield.

Spokesman Martin Greening asaid: “We have been successfully running our academies for nine years now.

"Our full time courses are designed to get students ready for a career in either the military or sports/fitness industry with very little classroom work, we focus more around fitness activities and practical work.”

Sign up to our Business newsletter

Sign up to our Business newsletter

Thomas Bainbridge who completed his Pre-Uniformed Services with the Miltary Academy

The folowing courses at the new Manor Top Army Reserves Centre base in Hurlfield Road, Sheffield, are set to run in January – Diploma in Pre-Uniformed Services Level 1; and Diploma in Pre-Uniformed Services Level 2.

The courses have been rated ‘Outstanding’ by Ofsted.

Martin continued: “These courses include fieldcraft, physical fitness, drill, first-aid, map reading, and more – and will prepare you to deal with all the challenges ahead."

Last year 80 per cent of the students in Yorkshire got accepted into the military, most of them have already started basic training with some still waiting for their start dates due to a delay caused by COVID-19. The other 20 per cent either returned for a second year or have gone onto other positive destinations.

Laurhen Phillips who studied Pre-Uniformed Services just started her career in the Army as an ammunition technician, she said: "LCG helped me massively.

" The staff gave me confidence in myself and constantly believed in me and helped me when I struggled. The course sometimes put me out of my comfort zone but that is something that's helped me develop into the person I am, especially when it comes to taking on challenges.

"I wouldn't have even been going to basic training if it weren’t for the course and the support of the staff."

For more information phone 07458 009552 or email [email protected]

In these confusing and worrying times, local journalism is more vital than ever. Thanks to everyone who helps us ask the questions that matter by taking out a digital subscription or buying a paper. We stand together. Nancy Fielder, editor.