Construction set to re-start after new Sheffield University building was torn down due to dodgy foundations

Construction of a £65m Sheffield University building which had to be torn down is set to re-start this month.

Monday, 4th January 2021, 4:45 pm

BAM said ‘deconstruction’ and re-piling of the social sciences building, on a former reservoir between Northumberland Road and Whitham Road, were finished - subject to checks - and work would commence ‘shortly’.

It is now set to complete in December 2022.

A large concrete frame had been built before movement was detected last summer.

Sign up to our Business newsletter

Sign up to our Business newsletter

A concrete frame has been demolished and new foundations dug.

BAM’s accounts show several provisions totalling £30m for the project and other issues. Its pre-tax profits more than halved to £9.4m last year.

A spokesman said the recovery costs would be ‘worked through’ between the construction parties. They are believed to include structural engineers Mott Macdonald and piling contractor Cementation Skanska.

He added: “We are now back on the path to creating a world-class social sciences facility for the city.”

A spokesman for the University of Sheffield said: “The latest update is that BAM Construction completed the new piling on Thursday, December 3 and verification works will continue into the new year.

The Faculty of Social Sciences hub had been due for completion in 2021 but construction was halted after ground movement comprised the building’s concrete frame

“The re-erection of the tower cranes will be complete by the start of January.”

The curvy four-storey building was designed by Sheffield firm HLM Architects.

Construction started in 2019. It is understood the foundations were not deep enough and in July 2020 BAM said partial demolition was necessary due to subsidence.

Then it said the it had to knock down the whole structure and re-start on new foundations.

The curvy building was designed by Sheffield-based HLM Architects and built on an old reservoir.

In August, frustrated resident Conor O’Callaghan brought demolition to a standstill when he staged a protest over noise which he said was ‘deafening’.

Construction is set to re-start once the new foundations have been checked, BAM says.

Thank you to all who support local journalism with a digital or print subscription to The Star.

The events of 2020 mean trusted, local journalism is more reliant than ever on your support.

Subscribe here www.thestar.co.uk/subscriptions so we can keep campaigning on your behalf. Stay safe.