Sheffield TV star Dan Walker quits Football Focus - has one viewer already guessed his next big move?

Sheffield’s Dan Walker has announced he is quitting Football Focus after more than a decade presenting the show.

Thursday, 8th April 2021, 12:09 pm

Announcing his departure on Twitter this morning, he said it had been an ‘amazing 12 years’ and he had ‘loved every single second’.

The 44-year-old, who also hosts BBC Breakfast and The NFL Show, said he would be stepping down from Football Focus at the end of the year as it was ‘time for someone else to take the reins’.

He said: “I’m really proud about the job that we’ve done, the changes we’ve made to the show, the issues that we’ve looked at, and at a time when the football landscape is changing immeasurably.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

"But, having said all that, after 12 years it’s time for someone else to take the reins.

"I’m really going to miss the magic of the programme, the opportunity it has given me, the great friends, many friends, that I have made along the way, and the thousands and thousands of conversations I’ve had with people who thankfully love the show just as much as I do.”He said he would continue to present BBC Breakfast and viewers would still see him elsewhere across the broadcaster’s sports coverage, including during the Olympics this summer.

Sheffield teenager killed in horror M1 crash named as 19-year-old Jordan Caster

BBC presenter Dan Walker is stepping down from Football Focus (pic: Mike Egerton/PA Wire)

“I’m also really looking forward to letting you know about one or two other exciting opportunities further down the road,” he added.

He signed off by thanking the ‘amazing team’ behind the show and the fans for all their comments and for helping the programme, which has been on the air since 1974, achieve record viewing figures.

Viewers have been quick to share their disappointment, with The Times’ chief football writer Henry Winter saying the show ‘will be the poorer without you’.

Speculation has already begun about his replacement, with ex-footballers Jermaine Jenas and Alex Scott early favourites to take over in the hot seat.

His long-time ratings rival Piers Morgan didn’t take long to chip in, replying ‘I start Saturday’.

People have also been guessing what the ‘exciting opportunities’ he referred to might be, with one suggesting he is the front-runner to replace Sue Barker on Question of Sport when she steps down after her 50th season hosting the popular quiz show.