There’s some great things to do in Sheffield and South Yorkshire this weekend and beyond - here are our top 10 tips.
1. Mad Hatter’s Tea Party, Crucible Studio Theatre, Today, May 18, 12.45pm. Inspired by the Mad Hatter’s tea party from Alice in Wonderland, Ensemble 360 and Polly Ives present a concert of live music, curious rhymes, nonsense and lots of laughs. Ticket prices from £5.Tel: 0114 2495999
2.Weston Park May Fayre , Weston Park Museum, Tomorrow, May 19, 11am – 5pm. Take a step back in time for a wonderful nostalgic day out with all the family. This is a free event. Tel: 0114 2736839
3. Zumbathon/Family Fun Day, Hillsborough Park, Tomorrow, May 19, 12pm – 5pm. Come along to Hillsborough Park for a family fun day which will be full of activities, arts and crafts, South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue, sports, entertainment and much more. Tel: 07728398503
4. Galvanize – STAIN-LESS, Sheffield Institute for Art, Daily – May 31. As part of Galvanize there is a juried exhibition of new work from members of the Association for Contemporary Jewellery. Tel: 0114 2256956.
5. Aqua-Tek. Magna Science Adventure Centre, Tuesday, May 21, 11am – 5pm. Come along to Magna Science Adventure Centre and let the little ones enjoy splashing around in the water play area. – Aqua-Tek! This is a great activity which all children will enjoy. Admission to Aqua-Tek is included with a Magna full day pass. Tel: 01709 720002
6. Designed to Shine – Lunchtime Talk, Millennium Gallery, Thursday, May 23, 1pm – 1.45pm
Join Clare Starkie, Curator of Decorative Art, to find out more about the Designed to Shine exhibition and a chance to handle some stainless steel objects from the collection. Tel: 0114 2782600
7. Alton Towers, Alton, Staffs ST10 4DB. Summer’s almost here and it’s time to test your mettle on Alton Towers’ latest rollercoaster ride.
The Smiler - billed as the world’s first 14 looping rollercoaster - opens at the popular theme park on May 23, and to celebrate The Star is offering our readers two-for-one entry to the Staffordshire tourist attraction, all summer long. We can also offer readers two-for-one entry at Merlin Entertainments’ other attractions. Just cut out the coupon from The Star - which we published on Thursday - and present it when you buy your attraction tickets. Back copies of The Star’s Thursday edition, subject to availability, at our shops in York Street, Sheffield and Sunny Bar, Doncaster. Also see the coupon in our weekly sister papers, including Sheffield Telegraph.
8. Saturday Craft Sessions, Heeley City Farm, Saturday, May 25, 11am – 3pm. Heeley City Farms children’s craft sessions are back again! Come and get crafty on the farm and bring out your creative side in the Energy Centre or reception classroom. Under eights must be supervised by a parent/carer. Tel: 0114 2580482
9. Flower Power, Wentworth Castle Gardens, Saturday, May 25 – June 1, 11am – 4pm. Visit Wentworth Castle Gardens during May and June as the gardens will be in full bloom! You can bring along the family, a picnic and explore the trails around the gardens and parklands. Surprises will greet you round every corner – can you find where the dragon lives?
10. Enchanted Fairy Forest. Tropical Butterfly House, Saturday, May 25 – June 2, 10am – 5.30pm
Visit the Tropical Butterfly House for magical fun for the young and the young at heart! The Enchanted Forest and Magical Fairy Garden will delight visitors young and old. Experience a magical fantasy world. Normal garden admissions apply.