Police probe into Jeremy Clarkson to continue despite producer’s wish not to press charges

Top Gear producer Oisin Tymon. Pic. P/A
Top Gear producer Oisin Tymon. Pic. P/A
0
Have your say

A police probe into South Yorkshire’s Jeremy Clarkson is to continue - despite the Top Gear producer he was involved in a fracas with saying he does not want to press charges against his former colleague.

Oisin Tymon has told North Yorkshire Police he does not want to take any further action against Clarkson, who was this week told his Top Gear contract will not been renewed by the BBC after an angry and lengthy tirade in a hotel over food.

The police have said they will take Tymon’s comments into consideration - but are continuing to look into the incident.

North Yorkshire Police confirmed they had received a letter from Mr Tymon’s lawyers indicating that he does not want to press charges.

A force spokesman said police would take Mr Tymon’s wishes into account and would issue a statement when they have finished interviewing guests at the hotel.

Police said: “Earlier this week we made contact with Mr Tymon’s lawyers to ask for his views on the incident at Simonstone Hall, and how - as the central person in this matter - he wished us to proceed.

“We received a letter from Mr Tymon’s lawyers indicating that he does not wish the police to pursue an investigation on his behalf.

“We understand the letter was also issued to the media.

“We are grateful to Mr Tymon for clarifying his position, as we can now take this fully into account. This is North Yorkshire Police’s usual approach.

“We have some final interviews to complete with guests who witnessed the incident as their perspectives also need to be considered.

“When these conversations are complete, we will issue a statement on our website as appropriate.”

Mr Tymon’s lawyer, Paul Daniels, issued a statement earlier today in which he said: “Mr Tymon has informed the police that he doesn’t want to press charges.

“The events of the last few weeks have been extremely unpleasant for everyone involved. The matter has taken a great toll on Oisin, his family and his friends.

“Quite simply, Mr Tymon just wishes to return now to the job at the BBC he loves, as soon as possible. Further, the BBC have, in his view, taken action with a view to addressing the issues at hand.

“Mr Tymon agrees with the BBC’s stated view that all parties should now be allowed to move on, so far as possible.”

The producer had his lip split in a 30-second-long assault on March 4 at the hands of Clarkson, who is originally from Doncaster.

Tymon had to take himself to hospital with his injuries.

He was also shouted at by the former Top Gear presenter in a torrent of verbal abuse in a hotel in North Yorkshire.

Clarkson reported the incident to the BBC five days later and was suspended by the broadcaster on March 10.

The outspoken presenter received widespread public support - including from his friend, Prime Minister David Cameron - while one million people signed a petition calling for the BBC to reinstate him.

But on Wednesday, BBC director-general Tony Hall announced he would not be renewing Clarkson’s contract, saying “a line has been crossed” and that “there cannot be one rule for one and one rule for another”.

Mr Tymon, who has previously described Clarkson as a “unique talent”, has come under sustained abuse on social media for his involvement in the dispute.

Clarkson refused to answer when asked if he was worried about being arrested yesterday.

Instead, he said: “All I would like to say is, I wish people would leave Ois alone because none of this was his fault.”

When he was asked what he would like to say to fans who may be upset about him leaving the show, he replied: “Everybody’s upset.”

Two major companies, Sky and Channel 4, are understood to have ruled out working with Clarkson, while ITV would not comment on “a BBC issue”.

Chris Evans leads the betting as favourite to take over at the show, even though he has ruled himself out on more than one occasion.