Celebrations mark 50 years of a treasured church

0
Have your say

Celebrations have been held to mark the 50th anniversary of the reopening of a historic Sheffield church.

In the autumn of 1963, St Marks in Broomhill was consecrated by the then Bishop of Sheffield John Taylor following a trumpet fanfare.

The original church has been destroyed following a direct hit by an incediary bomb in 1040.

The new building was designed by leading church architect George Pace and has now been nominated as one of the 20 best churchies built in Britain since World War II.

Events to mark the anniversary have included a service of re-dedication followed by lunch on St Marks Green.

The service featured a new trumpet fanfare, specially composed for the event by Becca Byde. A concert, featuring music by members of the congregation, took place on the evening before.

As part of the celebration, a history of St Marks has been written with contributions from a team of eight, mainly members of the congregation.

The book was launched at a special event when Peter Pace talked about the work of his father, and Bishop Michael Adie, first vicar of the rebuilt church, recalled the work of commissioning the building.

The final event was the performance of Lionstale, a pageant celebrating the history of St Marks from the building of the first church in 1859 to the present day in music, drama and song.

Proceeds are going toward the restoration of the organ, installed when the church was rebuilt and now in need of extensive repair.