Remains of one of South Yorkshire’s former coal mines have been recognised for their historic significance.
The surviving structures at the disused Barnsley Main colliery, near Hoyle Mill, have been awarded listed status.
Maria Miller, Culture, Media and Sport Secretary, has decided to add the colliery engine house and its pithead structures to the List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest.
News of the Grade-II listing was cause for celebration for the Dearne Valley Green Heart Landscape Partnership, a five-year project which is working to conserve and protect the heritage, environment and biodiversity of the area.
Coun Roy Miller, Barnsley Council cabinet member for development, environment and culture, said: “This listing recognises the importance Barnsley Main colliery has played in the history of the borough, but also the fact that in the future it will play a key role as part of the Dearne Valley Green Heart Landscape Partnership.”
Future work is likely to include making it easier for people to get to the site, explaining its significance to the area as well as establishing a long-term management plan for the site.
Barnsley Main finally closed in 1991.
It had originally closed in 1966, but reopened to take workers from the nearby Barrow pit, which was forced to shut in 1985 due to geological problems.
Barnsley Main also has an historical link to the Oaks colliery disaster of 1866, England’s worst ever mining accident when 361 men and boys were killed in a series of gas explosions.
The pithead buildings post-date the disaster, but they were built as part of Barnsley Main, which took over the workings of the Oaks colliery.
A separate memorial in Doncaster Road commemorates the event.