THRILLS and spills are set to hit the big screen after tickets went on sale for a popular Sheffield film festival.
The eighth Sheffield Adventure Film Festival takes place next month, with 80 adventure, travel and extreme sports films across six screens at The Showroom cinema in the city centre.
To promote the event, which runs from Friday to Sunday, March 1 to 3, festival organisers have released a trailer showcasing some of its highlights – and are hoping it will be as successful as last year’s, which has been viewed more than 130,000 times.
Matt Heason, ShAFF director, said: “With the explosion of social media, the trailer has become our most crucial bit of marketing.”
The video is set to Summer, Somewhere, by upcoming Sheffield six-piece band Screaming Maldini.
Matt said: “We’re lucky to have award-winning filmmaker Al Lee do the edit, but you need a killer soundtrack to hook the audience and create that perfect feel good vibe.
“Screaming Maldini’s crescendoing orchestral sound and poppy-hook lines are a perfect match for the high-energy action shots of mountain bikers and snowboarders hurtling down mountains and captures the spirit of adventure perfectly.”
Screaming Maldini – who met while students at Sheffield University – said they are thrilled to be involved.
Trumpeter Ben Hoblyn said: “The video looks class, it’s pretty wicked. There are some amazing shots.”
And lead singer Nick Cox said: “It’s full of people who are insane – jumping off cliffs and stuff and snowboarding.”
And the band – whose self-titled album featuring Summer, Somewhere was released yesterday – are hoping the album and trailer will lead to big things for them.
Bassist Annie Rushworth said: “The album’s the kind of the start and hopefully that’ll kick-start the rest of the year.”
* Lecture by former prison officer turned professional mountaineer Nick Bullock – Friday, March 1, 7.15pm;
* The ShAFF adventure quiz – Friday, 9.15pm;
* Secondhand adventure kit sale – Saturday and Sunday, March 2 and 3, 11am-8pm;
* Premiere of The Dragon’s Back, following the exploits of runners in the Dragon’s Back Race across Wales, followed by a Q&A session with race organiser Shane Ohly – Saturday, 8.45pm;
* For tickets and full details, visit Sheffield Adventure Film Festival