DCSIMG

Classes cancelled after arson at school

A SHEFFIELD school was set ablaze by suspected arsonists who broke in through a downstairs window and set fire to the headteacher's study.

The entire premises at City School on Stradbroke Road, Stradbroke, had to be ventilated to clear smoke which seeped into classrooms.

But fire crews who arrived quickly at the scene at 10.30pm on Saturday and managed to contain the blaze to one room.

Some classes were cancelled today as staff continued clean-up work.

The fire rekindled memories of a disastrous blaze which happened at the school in 1990 when vandals broke into the hall and then set fire to the stage, completely destroying an old Compton cinema organ.

Meanwhile, firefighters from Low Edges put out a blaze in a house on Glover Road, Totley, where an overheated central heating pump set fire to an airing cupboard. Nobody was hurt.

Firefighters rescued a cat from a blaze at a flat on Moorthorpe Green, Owlthorpe, after a chip pan caught fire, and in Rotherham a man and his girlfriend were taken to hospital suffering the effects of smoke inhalation when their chip pan caught fire in a flat at Elliott Court, Clifton.

An 83-year-old woman's garden shed was set on fire by yobs on Cowper Crescent, Foxhill, Sheffield, and an empty flat was broken into and set on fire on Errington Road, Arbourthorne.

And a Vauxhall Cavalier parked outside its owner's home on St Lawrence Glebe, Tinsley, was set ablaze by arsonists.

But the first weekend after Bonfire Night passed without any major incidents caused by fireworks.

Although the skies were lit up well into the night due to Guy Fawkes celebrations, firecrews across the county said they were no busier than normal.

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page