BRAVE members of the public and firefighters were honoured at an awards ceremony last night for helping to save lives across South Yorkshire over the last year.
South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service staged the event at the Barnsley Metrodome where Doncaster Schoolgirl Aimee Dempsey, aged 12, was presented with an award for a Public Act of Bravery after she risked her own safety to save the lives of seven other children following a gas explosion in the back garden of a house in Duke Crescent, Edlington, last year.
The children had been burning garden waste when one poured highly flammable nitrous methane onto it, sparking a large explosion which burned the faces and heads of the children, the youngest of whom was only five.
Despite suffering burns herself Aimee helped the others, rolling a young boy across the ground after he was engulfed in flames. She also pushed away a burning bin that was on top of another child and shouted safety instructions.
Jamie Bridge, aged 16, was also among those rewarded, receiving a special honour for beating neuro-behavioural disorders and autism to be named Fire Cadet of the Year.
Got a view? Leave a comment below.
CLICK HERE FOR The Star subscription offer. Use offer code STAOP0001 to get 25% off.
Follow The Star on Twitter and Facebook:
For breaking news and sport follow The Star on Twitter at www.twitter.com/sheffieldstar and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/sheffieldstar .
JOIN THE STAR READER PANEL: The Star is YOUR newspaper, so tell us what you think about it and what you want to see - CLICK HERE.
Don't miss our daily pull-outs - only in the The Star: Monday Star Sport, Tuesday Class Act; Wednesday Business; Thursday Grassroots; Friday Time Out; Saturday Retro. Subscribe to The Star - CLICK HERE
Join the Star reader panel
Main news index
South Yorkshire's environmental news
More business news
More Rotherham news
More Doncaster news
More Barnsley news