Supporters – including two local MPs – of the Radio Sheffield presenter Toby Foster have taken to Twitter to express their dismay after the host claimed he had been ‘sacked’.
The award-winning breakfast show presenter – a fixture on the BBC station for more than a decade – caused an outcry after declaring on the social networking site that he was ‘pretty much sacked’ during a meeting with a manager.
Afterwards the BBC issued a statement saying Foster’s tweets were being investigated, and the organisation has so far declined to comment further.
Yesterday the host was absent from his regular 7am to 10am slot, with Foster’s colleague Paul Walker ‘sitting in’ during a live broadcast from the Royal Mail sorting office on Brightside Lane.
The show was part of a week-long series called Foster’s Five Days of Christmas.
It was understood there was no official reason why Foster did not present the morning programme as usual.
Twitter users have been writing under the hashtag #SaveOurToby in a bid to have him reinstated.
Chesterfield MP Toby Perkins said: “I hope BBC Radio Sheffield haven’t sacked Toby Foster. I think he’s a real asset to the North Derbyshire and South Yorkshire community.”
Michael Dugher, MP for Barnsley East, said: “I hope this isn’t true. Toby Foster is a brilliant, authentic voice for South Yorkshire. Think again, BBC Sheffield.”
Fellow Twitter user Les Fell wrote: “He’s the only reason I listen to Radio Sheffield. I’ll switch over if this is true.”
Foster, aged 44, who lives in Barnsley and also works in stand-up comedy, made his internet comments on Wednesday night, starting with a post at 8.45pm: “Got asked to go for a pint by BBC manager. Got pretty much sacked.”
A spokesman for the BBC said: “We are aware some inappropriate tweets were sent from Toby Foster’s account. They have since been removed.
“Until we have investigated the matter further, we are unable to provide further comment.”