Wath run in six tries as they make it 15 wins out of 15 at top of the table

editorial image
Have your say

Sheffield RUFC maintained second place in Yorkshire Division One with a 23-10 win at Knottingley, but they were denied a bonus point as the home side restricted them to two tries.

Sheffield looked rusty and could have lost the match because of their indiscipline with Knottingley missing three penalties and a clear try-scoring chance which would’ve given them the win.

Donal Collins kicked an early penalty and converted a 25th minute try from flanker Martin Balshaw, and he was also on target with the extras shortly after when captain and No 8 Andy Kelly touched down to help put his side 17-0 ahead.

Knottingley hit back to 17-10 with a converted try a penalty, but Collins’ boot saved Sheffield, the stand-off kicking penalties on 56 and 60 minutes.

Sheffield Tigers’ clash with Longton was postponed because their Midlands opponents refused to play on the pitch, claiming it was waterlogged. Leaders Malton and Norton stretched their margin over the Abbeydale Park club by a point when they ran in four tries to earn a bonus point in their 31-24 home win over Selby.

Dinnington, next to bottom in Yorkshire One, were beaten 18-8 by tailenders Bradford Salem at Lodge Lane.

Dinnington had turned round 8-0 ahead after an excellent try by flanker Danny Pilkington from a rolling maul and a penalty goal from Danny Wilkinson.

But they missed half a dozen other scoring chances and, despite Dinnington spending long periods camped in the visitors’ 22, Salem swung the result with two second-half tries.

Barnsley stay third in Yorkshire Division Two despite going down 34-17 at second placed Pocklington.

A try from centre Andrew Buckingham and four penalties from Patrick Jensen were not enough for Barnsley.

Wath on Dearne maintained the status quo at the top of Yorkshire Three when they ran out 36-3 home winners over Northallerton. Wath have 15 straight wins under their belts .

Winger Brett Small sprinted over for two of the first-half tries, and there were others from No 8 Matt Burrows and flanker Steve Wesson. Joe Thompson converted three out of four.

Burrows scored his second try after the restart, and scrum-half Josh Bird sealed Wath’s win with a sixth try five minutes from time.

But second-placed Baildon also gained a bonus point when they scored five tries in their 32-3 home win over Halifax Vandals.

Rotherham Phoenix ran in six tries on their way to a 40-5 victory over Yorkshire Three strugglers Old Otliensians.

Flanker Andy Stewart scored two tries, while others came from centre Dan Johnson, full-back John Saddington, hooker Scott Crook and prop Chris Baldwin, while Tom Jenkinson kicked five conversions.

Sheffield Medicals extended their lead in Yorkshire Four by one point when they ran in six tries in a 36-0 victory at Halifax, while second placed Burley were restricted to one try in an 8-5 win at Ossett.

Mosborough fought back well in the second half but were defeated 22-10 in their home match against Leeds Medicals in Yorkshire Four.

After turning round 22-0 down, Mosborough pulled back a penalty goal by Dale Adey and scored the only try of the second half through flanker Micky Davidson, converted by Adey.