Tigers savour revenge over Midlanders

Have your say

It was Tigers’ eight consecutive league win and put them up to fourth place in the Midlands league with a match in hand over all three teams above them.

Tigers went ahead after eight minutes when winger Gareth Morley raced over for a try which fly-half Jonny West converted.

Ten minutes later, prop Sam Lockwood crashed over for the first of his hat-trick of tries to put Tigers 12-0 up before Kenilworth replied with their lone penalty goal.

Lockwood got the second-half scoring under way within a minute of the restart, and second row forward Gregor Hayter claimed the four-try bonus point midway through the half. Lockwood’s third try made it 29-3 and Tigers sealed their win when replacement No 8 Frank Wragg dived over for a sixth and final try, converted by West, with four minutes left on the clock.

Freezing ground conditions resulted in exactly half the scheduled 30 league matches in the Yorkshire Divisions being postponed, including Sheffield RUFC’s game at North Ribblesdale in Yorkshire One. It means that second-placed Sheffield now have a game in hand but are 12 points adrift of leaders Malton and Norton who scored their 14th straight win, 26-22, at home to York.

Other matches called off in Yorkshire One included Dinnington’s game at Ilkley.

Barnsley moved up to fourth place in Yorkshire Two with a 17-0 victory at higher placed Moortown. Their three tries were all pushover tries in a forwards dominated muddy match - but the points still came in handy.

Captain and second row Ed Norris led by example with a try after 13 minutes which proved to be the only score of the first half. After the break prop Thomas Naseby touched down on 46 minutes and stand-off Paddy Jensen converted, and Naseby was also credited with the final try on 54 minutes.

In Yorkshire Three, leaders Wath on Dearne were left without a match when scheduled visitors Old Otliensians refused to play, claiming that the pitch was unfit.

Rotherham Phoenix moved up one position, thanks to a losing bonus point, but were edged out 15-13 in their Yorkshire Three match at Thornensians.

Thorne looked to be heading for a clear win when they led 12-3 at half time through tries by flanker Adam Lloyd and winger Danny Gilbert, but Rotherham then fought their way back into the game with a second penalty goal by Tom Jenkinson and a try by full-back John Saddington which Jenkinson converted.

It put Rotherham into a 13-12 lead, but Thorne snatched the game with a penalty by Oliver Cox with three minutes remaining.

Sheffield Oaks sprang a surprise in Yorkshire Five when they won 19-12 on their visit to leaders Wensleydale.

Rawmarsh won 28-10 at Adwick despite a disappointing performance. Their tries came from winger Shaun Coulam, hooker Jake Fenton, No 8 Gary Harper and a penalty try, while Rob Johnson kicked two penalties and a conversion.

But Rotherham Clifton were not so lucky, losing 48-6 at Wetherby in the same league.