Tigers and Sheffield RUFC make it a great weekend double

A BRAVE effort by Gainsborough All Blacks against unbeaten Bingham.
A BRAVE effort by Gainsborough All Blacks against unbeaten Bingham.
Have your say

Sheffield Tigers extended their lead and Sheffield moved up to fourth place as the two top sides in the city both recorded victories in National Three North.

Tigers were denied a four-try bonus but adapted better to the heavy conditions on a wet and miserable day to win 26-3 on their visit to Cheshire rivals Lymm.

The Dore Moor side eased in front with the first of three penalty goals from stand-off Mark Ireland and increased their lead with a try by winger James Montgomery. Ireland missed the conversion but added another penalty before Lymm replied late in the first half.

Ireland kicked Tigers further ahead with a penalty before converting a try by winger Pete Swatkins, and right at the end back row man Lee Monks sealed the win with a third touchdown.

Sheffield were on the attack from the start and ran out 38-3 winners over Wirral at Abbeydale Park.

They took the lead after just four minutes when No 8 Jonny France crashed over for the opening try, and there were others from flanker Alex Fawdry, winger Rupert Broadley and second row Dominic Parsons.

Full-back Joe Cribley landed four penalties as well as converting all three second-half tries.

Tigers now lead National Three North by eight points from Hull, who ousted Waterloo from second place, while Sheffield have moved ahead of both Wirral and Rossendale.

Dinnington slipped one place to fifth in North One East when they were beaten 29-5 on the long journey to Alnwick.

Alnwick opened up a 17-point lead before Dinnington replied just before half time with a try by No 8 Will Marshall, and the visitors had a player in the sin bin when they conceded their next try.

With rough conditions making the pitch heavy, Barnsley had to battle for a low-scoring victory against Knottingley in Yorkshire Two on Saturday.

Andrew Appleyard kicked a penalty in the first half and Greg Colbridge converted another after thebreak to see them win 6-0.

Wath on Dearne took victory away from home in Yorkshire Two, beating Leodiensian 18-3.

Anthony Barratt scored the only points of the first half, kicking a penalty to give Wath the lead.

It was a lead that they built on after the break with a further penalty from Barratt and tries from James McCarthy and captain Ashley Rothery sealing the points.

Sheffield Medicals could only muster one try in awful conditions as they slumped to a 20-11 defeat at home to Pontefract in Yorkshire Two.

Stocksbridge were 26-11 winners over Aireborough in Yorkshire Three, with Rotherham Phoenix lost out 15-34 to Goole.

Rotherham Clifton were leading 15-12 at Mosborough before an injury led to the Yorkshire Four match being abandoned. Elsewhere, Sheffield Oaks lost 20-6 at Leeds Corinthians, while Hallamshire were beaten 43-3 at Wibsey in Yorkshire Five.