Sheffield Tigers’ league push continues

editorial image
Have your say

SHEFFIELD Tigers battled to a 23-17 home victory over Birmingham Solihull as their Championship campaign continues to gather momentum. Their victory left them seventh in the table.

Stand-off Tom Outram kicked them into an early lead with a penalty after four minutes, but the visitors briefly led. Centre Pete Swatkins slotted over a drop goal on 19 minutes to edge Tigers back into the lead at 6-5. And as half time approached, they extended that lead with scrum-half Alex Drage scoring the first try on 36 minutes. In-form Outram added the conversion, and also a late penalty to ensure Tigers led 16-5 at the break.

Birmingham closed the gap, but prop Antony Ross restored Tigers’ 11-point lead with a try on 55 minutes, Outram converting.

Sheffield put in a dominant display against Darlington and looked especially strong in the final ten minutes when they racked up an incredible 40 points.

The pick of Sheffield’s tries was Simon Tillyer’s fantastic opener which saw the number 10 involved in a slick move up to the halfway line before sprinting down the right and going over behind the posts. Tillyer went on to score a hat-trick, as did Jimmy Pearson.

Sheffield stalled slightly in the second half and didn’t put any more points on the board until there were 70 minutes on the clock.

They missed the opportunity to run in eight or nine tries during this period but ended the contest emphatically.

Dinnington notched their first victory of the season in Yorkshire One, beating hosts Barnsley 18-5. Full-back Chris Williams gave Dinnington a good start with a try after 20 minutes, and they extended that lead to 11-0 at half time with former Rotherham and Sheffield Tigers stand-off Jonny West adding penalty kicks. They extended their lead to 18-0 with flanker Ryan Donnelly scoring and West adding the conversion. With 10 minutes remaining Barnsley broke through Dinnington’s defence, but it was not enough to challenge for victory.

Sheffield Medicals prevailed over a well-drilled Ripon side to take a 35-14 victory in Yorkshire Two on Saturday. The first try came on 15 minutes as left winger Rob Caufer slid over, Eddie Farmer converting, to put Medicals ahead. Number eight Matthew Clark, who had a huge influence on proceedings throughout the game, was next to go over with Chris Blackwell adding another try to make it 22-0 at half time.

Ripon ran in two tries to put Medicals under a bit of pressure. But full back Mike Watters put in a try and penalty before Thomas Piggott killed off the game.