Sheffield march on to keep second spot

Sheffield v Keighley. Martin Balshaw on the attack for Sheffield
Sheffield v Keighley. Martin Balshaw on the attack for Sheffield
Have your say

Dinnington slip closer to trap door; Wath wonders keep up good work

SHEFFIELD Tigers’ scheduled National Three Midlands match at Scunthorpe fell victim to the weather, but Sheffield RUFC beat the wintry conditions and consolidated their second place in Yorkshire Division One with a 17-3 victory over Keighley at Abbeydale Park.

Sheffield took the lead after just three minutes with a penalty goal by stand-off Donal Collins, and there was no further score in the first half as both sides narrowly missed penalty chances.

Collins finally hit the target again in the 32nd minute, but when skipper and No 8 Andrew Kelly crashed over for the only try of the match five minutes before half time Collins was unlucky to hit the post with the conversion attempt.

Sheffield extended their lead to 14-0 with another Collins penalty. Alex Brown pulled one back for Keighley three minutes later, but Collins had the final word with his fourth successful kick at goal two minutes into added time.

Dinnington went one step nearer to relegation from Yorkshire One when they were defeated 26-11 at Castleford.

Dinnington were again slow off the mark and found themselves 21-0 down after just 15 minutes before pulling back a penalty goal by Danny Wilkinson.

Right winger Dave Longstaff raced over for a Dinnington try to make the score 21-8 at half time, and two minutes into the second half Wilkinson kicked another penalty.

But Castleford sealed their win with a try ten minutes before the final whistle, and although Dinnington were then camped in the home 22 they were unable to get the breakthrough they needed.

Barnsley, holding third place in Yorkshire Division Two, have a game in hand over second placed Huddersfield YMCA after their home match against Ripon was postponed.

Free-scoring Wath on Dearne consolidated their lead in Yorkshire Three when they ran in eight tries in a 48-5 victory at Hessle.

Wath conceded an early try to the home side, but they hit back with four tries in the last ten minutes of the first half to turn round 24-5 ahead.

No 8 Matthew Burrows and full-back Adam West both scored, and both players went on to add further tries.

Joe Earp (back row), Robert Booth (wing), Arran Tasker (second row) and Simon Butterworth (prop) got the other touchdowns, with Burrows converting four out of eight tries.

In Yorkshire Five, Rawmarsh won 10-8 against Nestle Rowntree, while Rotherham Clifton lost out 8-5 at home to Hornsea.