Seven up Hills!

Wheatley Hills RUFC's Gareth Burrns scores a try against Old Crossleyans
Wheatley Hills RUFC's Gareth Burrns scores a try against Old Crossleyans
Have your say

Wheatley make it 100 points without reply in last two games

WHEATLEY Hills made it 16 unanswered tries in their last two North East One games when routing Old Crossleyans 45-0 at Brunel Road.

The Doncaster side won the toss and elected to play up the slope in the first half and took just seven minutes to open the scoring.

No 8 Gaz Burns scored the first of his four tries after capitalising on good work by his fellow forwards, who were dominant throughout, with fly-half Guy Townsley adding the extras.

Centre Mickey Hayward broke free around the visitor’s 22 and crossed under the posts to give Townsley a simple conversion.

The home side were in again on the half hour. Good passing down the line got winger Ryan Richardson away and as he was being tackled ten metres short of the line he managed to slip the ball inside to supporting full-back Johnny Marshall. Townsley again booted over the extras to make it 21-0.

Burns notched his second try four minutes after the restart following a pick-up- -and-drive from a five-metre scrum.

The club’s leading scorer grabbed an almost identical try ten minutes later. Townsley’s conversion made it 33-0.

Burns claimed his third try of the game around the hour mark after backing up a strong break by skipper Tom Buckenham. Townsley again tagged on the two points.

Winger Tom Barker made it four tries in the last two games when racing in from about 30 metres following a bout of good handling.

Doncaster Phoenix saw their outside Yorkshire League Two promotion hopes virtually extinguished following an 18-10 defeat at home to second-placed Pocklington.

The Castle Park club, who have been the league’s form team in recent weeks, made a confident start and winger Dan Greenslade capitalised on some passing by the backs to cross in the corner.

Player-coach Dan Storey converted from touch. The half-back then converted a penalty to give his side a 10-0 lead after 25 minutes. Pocklington came more into the game in the second quarter and reduced the interval deficit to just four points with two penalties. Realising that they had a game on their hands if they were going to complete the double, Pocklington upped their performance in the second half and scored 12 points without reply. They got their noses in front with a converted try early in the third quarter and penned Phoenix in their own half for long periods.

Phoenix threw everything at the Pocklington line in the closing stages and came near to scoring a match-winning try on a couple of occasions.

With the whistle poised to blow, Phoenix kept the ball alive through numerous phases and had Dan Storey’s lobbed pass found it’s intended target there could have been a try for his side.

Unfortunately for Phoenix, Storey’s pass was intercepted by the Pocklington winger who raced 60 metres to score.

Thornensians suffered a second successive Division Three defeat, going down 13-3 at Northallerton.

Much-improved Rossington Hornets went close to producing a major shock in Division Five when entertaining leaders Knaresborough - the North Yorkshire side having to work hard for their 24-23 victory.