Rugby Union round-up: Thornensians turn on the style to defeat Aireborough

editorial image
Have your say

Thornensians scored one of the best tries seen at Coulman Road for many years as they came from behind to beat Aireborough.

The hosts trailed 14-0 after 20 minutes having conceded two tries. But then came the turning point as Thorne ran in a superb score to turn the Yorkshire Three on its head.

Skipper Brett Hunt picked up the ball in his own 22 before some beautiful play saw it passed through the hands of centres Stuart Hughes and Oli Cox. The move then found Luke Marsden who finished with aplomb to start the fight back.

Oli Cox converted before Gaz Sutton scored a second try for Thornensians and five minutes from the end, Cox clinched a 15-14 win with a penalty.

Wheatley Hills dominated for long periods but went down 27-24 to Huddersfield YMCA in North One East.

Two first half tries from winger James Montgomery gave Hills the edge, with Huddersfield having only a Gavin Stead penalty to show for their efforts.

Hills looked to be taking a comfortable 14-3 lead into half time.

But Huddersfield picked themselves up after being second best for the majority of the game and, with the last play of the half, Adam Ryder crossed the line.

Jonathan Woodcock, who converted both of Montgomery’s first half efforts, added a try and conversion for Wheatley - but the visitors came surging back as Stead responded immediately with a try in the corner.

Woodcock kicked a penalty on 55 minutes but then came the decisive point of the game as YMCA scored two pushover tries in quick succession.

Stead converted both to make it 27-24.

Doncaster Phoenix held on to third spot in Yorkshire One despite being edged out 22-19 at home to Scarborough.

Phoenix turned round 14-10 ahead and, after each team had scored one further try, were leading 19-15 when Scarborough clinched the match with a converted try.

Tries from No 8 Ryan Peacey and centre Craig Deakin, plus both conversions from Ben Millar, helped the Phoenix lead 14-10 at half time.

After the break winger Dan Greenslade raced in for a third try, but it proved to be their last points as Scarborough broke through twice more to seal the win.

Wath on Dearne’s poor form continued as they suffered a 34-15 defeat at North Ribblesdale.

Hooker Carl Mortimer’s first half try and Joe Bartlett’s penalty helped Wath stay in touch at half time when they were only 10-8 down.

After the break they added a second try through No 8 Matt Burrows and Bartlett added the conversion.

But they couldn’t stop North Ribblesdale running away with the match and they ended up with a five-point, four-try victory.