Roaring Tigers step up honours bid with 34-10 win

Have your say

Sheffield Tigers pressed home their National Three North promotion hopes with a bonus winning 34-10 victory over Rossendale at Dore Moor which leaves them just two points adrift of second- placed Sandal.

Peter Swatkins started the ball rolling for Tigers with a try on 30 minutes which centre Tom Outram converted, with hooker Peter Coates adding a second before the break.

Stefan Destounis added a converted try in the second half after Outram had kicked a penalty, before top-scorer Henri Packard increased the lead and stand-off Mark Ireland completed the scoring with his first try of the season.

Sheffield’s hopes of the North One East title suffered a setback when they were edged out 18-17 at lowly Old Crossleyans.

The Abbeydale Park side are still top, just one point ahead of Ilkley, who ran in five tries on their way to a 39-22 win at Bradford and Bingley.

Old Crossleyans wentin 5-3 at the break before extending their lead with two tries early in the second half.

Ali Womack and Joe Cribley went over with two quick-fire tries followed by two Jimmy Pearson conversions but a late Chris Vine penalty gave the hosts victory.

Dinnington continue to challenge for a top-three finish after handing Rochdale a 33-19 beating at Lodge Lane.

Dinnington conceded an early converted try before equalising when prop John Marshall crashed over for a try which Jonny West converted.

West also converted when winger Marlon Miller raced over, putting the home side 14-7 ahead at the turnround. West added three penalty goals and Will Marshall added a try to leave them 28-19 ahead. Then, with the last play of the match, full-back Tyle Stimpson touched down to secure a bonus which narrowed the gap over fourth placed Rochdale to just one point. The big test for Dinnington is next Saturday when they take on potential champions Ilkley.

Wath on Dearne suffered another setback when they were thrashed 36-6 at home to Hullensians. Wath had

Wath had only a penalty goal from 17-yerar-old debut stand-off Jack Whitlam to show for their first half efforts, going in 17-3 down. Their only further answer was another Whitlam penalty as Hull notched up six tries.

Wath are now next to bottom, just two points ahead of bottom club Pontefract.

Barnsley pulled off a surprise win in Yorkshire Two when they won 11-8 at second placed West Park Leeds.

Barnsley turned round 8-6 down, fly-half Andrew Appleyard kicking two penalties, but they clinched the result with the only score of the second half when full-back Greg Colbridge raced over for a try.

Sheffield Medicals slipped further off the pace when they were beaten 17-0 at home to Keighley.

Stocksbridge picked up an 18-3 win over Baildon through Scott Bowskill’s six penalties.

Mosborough went down 29-26 at Skipton and Sheffield Oaks drew 19-19 at Hornsea.